The Section on Pediatrics of the American Physical Therapy Association is pleased to invite you to our 3rd Annual Conference.
The goal of the Section on Pediatrics Annual Conference (SoPAC) is to bring together pediatric physical therapists together from across the country and around the globe to provide a forum for pediatric therapists from all areas of practice (academia, research, clinical, school-based, and hospital settings) to unite once per year to advance the practice of pediatric physical therapy, exchange ideas related to practice and research, and provide participants professional development networking opportunities.
SoPAC will also feature 5 optional Preconference Courses (September 26-27):
- 2-Day Courses (14 CEUs each):
- APTA's Clinical Instructor Education & Credentialing Program (Speaker: Lisa Kenyon, PT, PhD, PCS)
- Linked: Breathing & Postural Control (Speaker: Mary Massery, PT, DPT, DSc)
- 1-Day Course (7.5 CEUs):
- Advanced School-Based Physical Therapy: Providing Physical Therapy Services Under IDEA (Speakers: Sue Cecere, PT; Laurie Ray, PT; Larry Rechlin, PT)
- 1/2-Day Courses (4 CEUs):
- Section on Pediatrics Boot Camp for Students and Young Professionals: Preparing for a Career in Pediatric Therapy (Speakers: Caryn Barman, PT, DPT, PCS; Alyssa LaForme Fiss, PT, PhD, PCS; Britta Battaile, PT, DPT, PCS; Ken Swantek, SPT)
- Power Wheels Workshop: Build Your Own Modified Racecarâ€¦Seriously! (Speaker: James Cole Galloway, PT, PhD; Hsiang han Huang, OT, ScD)
Practice Fair: This event is for practicing clinicians to share ideas about clinical practice and information with their peers, including creative interventions, strategies, activities; innovative programs; and adaptations, modifications, and specialized use of equipment, toys, and materials.
Poster Presentations: The Section will be seeking poster presentations.
Disney's Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler Weekend, September 28-29, 2012: The Section on Pediatrics is hosting a team for Disney's Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler to encourage children and adults throughout the country to "Be Goofy for Exercise!" The 10-Miler will be run throughout Disney's Hollywood Studios, and participants are welcome to stay and ride the attractions until 3:00 am! To join the Section Team, register directly with Disney ; then e-mail SoPAC Coordinator Cindy Miles at firstname.lastname@example.org to let her know that you'd like to join the Section's 10-Miler team! Registration opens February 14, 2012, so be sure to register early- Disney races fill quickly!
Sponsorship of a Family to Attend SoPAC: As part of the third Section on Pediatrics Annual Conference (SoPAC) in Orlando, Florida, APTA's Section on Pediatrics will send a family with special needs to Walt Disney World. This year, the emphasis will be on supporting the mission of the Section on Pediatrics, which is to promote the highest quality of life for all children, people with developmental disabilities, and their families. It will also emphasize supporting the Section's Strategic Plan goals of advocating for pediatric physical therapy and promoting physical fitness.